Necessaire - This is a small tortoise shell necessaire. A necessaire is a box that contains the 'necessaries' for sewing.
Forte Piano - Forte Piano Cylinder Box
This is a plain fruitwood box. It contains a beautiful and expressive forte piano musical movement and dates from around 1850 give or take. It plays six operatic airs by Donizetti and Bellini.
Rivenc - Ami Rivenc Cylinder Musical Box
This small cylinder musical box comes in a nicely carved walnut case.
Mermod - Mermod Cylinder Box
With 6 BellsThis musical box was manufactured by Mermod Frères, Ste-Croix, Switzerland in the latter half of the 19th Century.
Disc Room - The disc musical box, like the cylinder musical box, sounds its melody and accompaniment on tuned steel teeth in a comb. The teeth are plucked by the points of star wheels. The star wheels are turned by the force of projections on the underside of steel or zinc discs. The projections are arranged to produce a specific tune.
Table-top Disc Musical Box
This musical box was made by the Herman Thorens Co. in Ste-Croix, Switzerland, around the mid-20th century.
Thorens was recently bought out by the Reuge Co., also of Switzerland. Reuge still manufactures a 4-1/2" disc musical box
This is a Silvanigra No. 1 disc musical box.
The speed of the music can be changed by adjusting a speed regulator dial, seen in the upper left.
This unassuming wooden box holds a charming single-comb disc musical box. It was made by the Symphonion-Fabrik A.-G. in Leipzig, Germany around 1900.
This box was manufactured by the KalliopeMusikwerke in Leipzig, Germany between 1895 and 1919.
It was manufactured by Polyphon Musikwerke in Leipzig, Germany. Polyphon was one of the 'big three' disc musical box manufacturers that operated between 1885 and 1915 (the other two being Symphonion and Regina).
Here is a disc musical box that plays not a flat disc, but rather a 'rolled up' disc in the form of a truncated cone.
It is called a 'Cuff Box' because the shape of the rolled up disc resembles that of a shirt cuff.
This musical box was made by F. G. Otto & Sons, Jersey City, NJ between 1889 and about 1900.